Monday, April 26, 2010

Videogames in PE?

Well the story for lab D is a long and stressful one. I was hoping to get golf, swiming, bowling, anything that i had some knowledge and interst into. However the unthinkable happened. I was assigned to teach DDR. Its funny in a way because i actually asked the one of the TAs if she whould see whay she could do to make sure that i didnt have to teach DDR. Hey who would have thought that i would be teaching it. I guess deep down inside i knew all along that that was what i was going to be teaching. My prior knowledge on DDR before being assigned to it was that of near... hmm nothing. I really had to indulge into the game and speand some time playing at home while mom and dad laughed at me dancing in the living room. I was having a miserable time for quite awhile trying to figure out how to put the game into a lesson plan. However i finally put it all together and came up with a gameplan. This teaching lab trully was my most stressful experience in school. Ive just never been so worried or paranoid about something. The weekedn before i had trouble sleeping and the times i tried to get it off my mind i couldnt get it out of my head. It really consumed me. It threw me off a little. The fun factor completely diminished with all the work involved and worry about hitting everything on the C9 form. Im not exactly a class clown but im usually the loud one that everyone has no trouble telling that im having a blast. When watching my videos i dont even look like myself. I didnt smile much. I didnt have much enthusiasm. Truth is it was hard to have fun when i was so worried about teaching. The teaching aspect took me over.It took me out of my comfort zone. It made me act like a robot. Thats completely what i didnt want to happen. Overall i wasnt happy with how my lesson went. When i talked to the other students afterwards they said it went well but its not the same when you are teaching. I made several mistakes that werent big deals but im hard on myself and they took alot out of me while i was teaching. If i were to teach DDR again i feel like i could do much better because i could learn through my mistakes. My lesson had way too much instruction and management time according to my time coding form
There were alot of things that had planned in my lesson that i had forgot to do while in my lesson. I wanted to have everyone switch mats after every lesson or song. I completely forgot about that until i had half my lesson over with already. I had planned on walking around and giving feedback throughout my entire lesson however i didnt get to walk around until i got the students into the training mode. Something that was hard was trying to run the DDR changer and work with the students at the same time. If i had more time and multiple lessons i would teach the students how to changed the lessons and songs and all that jazz. That way i could focus on helping students and try to change up the tasks for them to keep their interest better. SOmthing i lacked in my lesson was intratask variation. That was something i would have liked to have hit on so that was disapointing not to have included. One thing that i was very pleased with was that all the technology ran smoothly. I figured it out and that on its own is a miracle. i was so stressed trying to get all the equipment up to the gym for the lesson. Then i was in a pinch getting set up because there was a class in the gym before i had the floor.I recieved help from students in class getting set up from Miles and Amanda and that was so helpful. This really was one heck of an experience. I cant say im not glad its over because i am. Im getting pounded with work this semester. And there isnt alot of time left to get it all done. Back to DDR. My final thoughts on it are that it is a great tool for phys ed teachers. I think that it absolutley has a place in class and that it helps students in many ways aside from cardio. It really stimulates the mind and requires alot of thinking. Whats nice about it is its a life long activity. Its something students can do at home and in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment